WELCOME to St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane
AN EASTER MESSAGE FROM FATHER ANDREW:
Easter is commonly accepted as an historical fact. We believe that on a Sunday morning over two
thousand years ago the crucified Christ rose from the dead, walked out of the tomb, and is alive for
evermore. Since then, every year on this special occasion, the people of God gather to celebrate that
historical fact. But this year, I would like to invite everyone to go beyond the event itself and seek to
ascertain something of its significance. What does the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead mean
to our world and to our lives? There may be many possible answers to that question but I would like to
propose this one: Easter means that the best is permanent: nothing can destroy it, even death.
Easter proclaims the permanence of life's higher values that the resurrection of Christ from the dead guarantees that the best will never be lost. As someone pointed out, "what is excellence, as God lives, is permanent." Easter is more than a message about personal immortality, more than a comfort for private grief. Easter is a proclamation that the best things will never be lost. Therefore, in the midst of an unstable world, since things are changing so rapidly, we need to put our trust in Christ.
One of the ways to experience the permanence of God is the celebration of the Eucharist. This year I strongly encourage our parishioners to participate in the Easter celebration and experience an encounter with the Risen Christ who lives forever.
- Please help us build a SPIRITUAL BOUQUET for the urgent needs in our Parish on Tues. May 26th. During the 24 hours (from midnight on Mon. May 25th to midnight on Tues. May 26th) we need persons who would be willing to spend at least ONE HOUR (at home, at work, at church, on your bike, in your car, or from whereever) to pray, fast, or do good works as an offering to God for the special intentions of the Parish. To see how you can help, where to sign-up, and some suggestions for how to spend your HOUR, please CLICK HERE. Many thanks!
If you are a volunteer in any of St. Mary's Ministries, please mark your calendar for SAT., MAY 30, 1-4 pm. The parish will be holding a REQUIRED WORKSHOP entitled, "Called to Protect," a safe environments training program to avoid child abuse (a Diocese of Calgary initiative.) To see the poster invitation, CLICK HERE. Or for more about the Diocesan program, CLICK HERE.
- NEWSFLASH: St. Mary's LENDING LIBRARY is now lending DVD's. See the table next to the Connections Store. You can also borrow children's and youths' books. To get more information, click the "Lending Library" Tab at the top of this page. OR you can click HERE to go to "Ministries">"Administrative" > "Church Library."
- Our GROCERY CARD fundraiser continues to be a HUGE success! WHO-O-O-O-O's got theirs?? (Grocery cards, that is.) Don't miss the next 10% TUESDAY on June 2nd. Click HERE for more information.
The LABYRINTH has been completed in St. Mary's SACRED GARDEN—it's beautiful!! Be sure to have a look for yourself. Did you know that during the Middle Ages Christians walked the labyrinth at their local cathedral as a substitute for going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem? Today walking the church labyrinth is a perfect way to focus the mind and meditate on one's personal pilgrimage — his/her sacred journey through life. We invite you to try it out!!
As you know, our Sacred Garden is always open 24/7. Drop by the Garden, walk through its tranquil pathways, and experience for yourself this place of peace and serenity — perfect for quiet contemplation! For more about the SACRED GARDEN, click HERE. Or click on the "Sacred Garden" TAB at the top of this page.
- The St. Athanasius Greek Dinner Fundraiser on May 2nd was a great success and lots of fun as well! See some photo memories of the evening on the PHOTOS/VIDEOS page (click its 'TAB' at the top of this page).
- Please pray for the children of St. Mary's Parish who made their FIRST COMMUNION on the weekend of May 2 - 3.
- Remember, St. Mary's is YOUR parish community. Get involved. Sign up in a parish ministry. To volunteer click HERE.
St. Mary's Catholic Church
River Heights Drive
We are just south of the town
and east off Hwy 22
at James Walker Trail
To learn the story behind our
CONFESSIONS & Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament with Benediction:
Saturday 11 am - 12 noon
or Confessions by appointment
Tuesday EVENING 7:00 pm
(September through June)
at 1:30 in the AFTERNOON
when Mass is celebrated at Cochrane Bethany Care Center
(September through June)
at 10:30 in the MORNING
when Mass is celebrated at Cochrane Big Hill Lodge
Are You NEW to the PARISH?
- We extend a warm welcome to new parishioners. Please take a moment to print and fill out the New Parishioner's REGISTRATION FORM. It's a sure way to make certain you're included in Parish communications. You can scan and e-mail or FAX the form to our Secretary or drop the hard copy into the collection basket next time you're at Mass. For a brochure explaining Catholic Stewardship click here.
- If you want to become actively involved in our parish community, a MINISTRY is a great way to do so.
- Print a VOLUNTEER / STEWARDSHIP sign-up FORM and place the completed form in the collection basket at Mass or drop it off at the Parish Office.
St. Mary's is planning a PARISH PICNIC on July 26th at Our Lady Queen of Peace Ranch, 258 Mountain Lion Drive, Bragg Creek. Tickets are $10 per family and you can purchase them before or after the weekend Masses.
- Coming this summer, the Knights of Columbus 3rd Annual GOLF TOURNAMENT, Aug. 29th. For more information and to register, visit the kiosk in the Gathering Area.
- For more events, visit our CALENDAR and BULLETINS pages (or click on the tabs at the top of this page).
STEWARDSHIP of Time, Talent, Treasure
Our STEWARDSHIP is a complete and total way of life. It acknowledges our dependence on God for all we have and all we are. Stewardship of our time, talent and treasure lies at the heart of our Christian life. In short, it's something we do; it's the way we live. As Christian stewards, we receive God's gifts gratefully, cultivate them responsibly, share them in loving justice with others, and return them with increase to the Lord. Click here for our STEWARDSHIP PRAYER.
Stewardship of TREASURE
Please consider the spiritual and practical benefits of a pre-authorized commitment to the Stewardship of Treasure. Your gifts toward weekly Sunday offerings, the Building Fund, Together in Action, and other Catholic charities can be handled by Direct Debit, MasterCard or Visa simply with your pre-authorization. Click here for the necessary forms. Fill out your preferred method of contribution; then drop your signed pre-authorization into the collection basket next time you're at Mass, or hand-deliver or Fax it to the Parish Office. NOTE: the signed form may be scanned and attached in an email to the Parish Secretary.
Stewardship of TIME and TALENT
One of the greatest gifts God gives us is our TIME. When we hand back a portion of each day to the One who made all our days without thinking about what we get in return, we are living the life of a steward. Please prayerfully ponder the descriptions of the various MINISTRIES that St. Mary's offers and begin your discernment.
Additionally, every one of us has something we can do to help others. The gift of our TALENTS invites us to recognize, cherish and share our God–given abilities. How can YOU enrich your parish’s faith family? See this BROCHURE about Catholic stewardship. Then print a VOLUNTEER/STEWARDSHIP FORM and sign up for the ministry(s) of your choice. Drop the completed form into the collection basket next time you're at Mass or mail it to us.
Parish Mission Statement:
We are a community of faith trusting in God's love, open to the gifts of the Holy Spirit working within each member, attempting to model ourselves on Christ, and called to serve Him in others.