WELCOME to St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane
AN EASTER MESSAGE FROM FATHER ANDREW:
Easter is commonly accepted as an historical fact. We believe that on a Sunday morning over two
thousand years ago the crucified Christ rose from the dead, walked out of the tomb, and is alive for
evermore. Since then, every year on this special occasion, the people of God gather to celebrate that
historical fact. But this year, I would like to invite everyone to go beyond the event itself and seek to
ascertain something of its significance. What does the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead mean
to our world and to our lives? There may be many possible answers to that question but I would like to
propose this one: Easter means that the best is permanent: nothing can destroy it, even death.
Easter proclaims the permanence of life's higher values that the resurrection of Christ from the dead guarantees that the best will never be lost. As someone pointed out, "what is excellence, as God lives, is permanent." Easter is more than a message about personal immortality, more than a comfort for private grief. Easter is a proclamation that the best things will never be lost. Therefore, in the midst of an unstable world, since things are changing so rapidly, we need to put our trust in Christ.
One of the ways to experience the permanence of God is the celebration of the Eucharist. This year I strongly encourage our parishioners to participate in the Easter celebration and experience an encounter with the Risen Christ who lives forever.
- You can now borrow children's and youths' books from St. Mary's LENDING LIBRARY. To access the Library and get more information, click the "Lending Library" Tab at the top of this page. OR you can click HERE to "Ministries" > "Administrative" > "Church Library," which you'll find at the top of that list.
- Our GROCERY CARD fundraiser continues to be a HUGE success! WHO-O-O-O-O's got theirs?? (Grocery cards, that is.) Don't miss the next 10% TUESDAY on May 5th. Click HERE for more information.
- You're invited to our St. Athanasius Greek Dinner Fundraiser on Saturday, May 2 at 6:15 pm. Delicious Greek dishes will be served. Musical accompaniment by the nationally acclaimed REMBETIKA HIPSTERS. Tickets at the Parish Office.
- Please pray for the children of St. Mary's Parish who will be making their FIRST COMMUNION on the weekend of May 2 - 3.
- Remember, St. Mary's is YOUR parish community. Get involved. Sign up in a parish ministry. To volunteer click HERE.
St. Mary's Catholic Church
River Heights Drive
We are just south of the town
and east off Hwy 22
at James Walker Trail
To learn the story behind our
CONFESSIONS & Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament with Benediction:
Saturday 11 am - 12 noon
or Confessions by appointment
REGULAR MASS TIMES:WEEKEND Masses
Tuesday EVENING 7:00 pm
(September through June)
and ALSO on the second Tuesday of each month
at 1:30 in the AFTERNOON
when Mass is celebrated at Cochrane Bethany Care Center
(September through June)
at 10:30 in the MORNING
when Mass is celebrated at Cochrane Big Hill Lodge
Are You NEW to the PARISH?
- We extend a warm welcome to new parishioners. Please take a moment to print and fill out the New Parishioner's REGISTRATION FORM. It's a sure way to make certain you're included in Parish communications. You can scan and e-mail or FAX the form to our Secretary or drop the hard copy into the collection basket next time you're at Mass. For a brochure explaining Catholic Stewardship click here.
- If you want to become actively involved in our parish community, a MINISTRY is a great way to do so.
- Print a VOLUNTEER / STEWARDSHIP sign-up FORM and place the completed form in the collection basket at Mass or drop it off at the Parish Office.
- ANOTHER REMINDER: Grocery Card FUNDRAISER: Buy St. Mary's Grocery Cards and support this very profitable fundraising endeavour to help pay down our mortgage. CO-OP (10.5%); SAVE ON FOODS (6%); NO FRILLS (5%); SAFEWAY (8%); and SOBEY'S in Calgary (8%). Remember, MAY 5th is the next 10% TUESDAY for cards at these stores! To learn more, click HERE.
- The LABYRINTH is completed in St. Mary's SACRED GARDEN—it's beautiful!! Be sure to have a look for yourself. Did you know that during the Middle Ages Christians walked the labyrinth at their local cathedral as a substitute for going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem? Today walking the church labyrinth is a perfect way to focus the mind and meditate on one's personal pilgrimage — the sacred journey through life. We invite you to try it out!!
- Our Sacred Garden was officially blessed by
Bishop Henry on September 7, 2014. The Garden is open 24/7. It's available any time, any season.
Drop by the Garden, walk through its tranquil pathways, and experience
for yourself this place of peace and serenity
—perfect for quiet contemplation!
- For more about the SACRED GARDEN, click HERE.
STEWARDSHIP of Time, Talent, Treasure
Our STEWARDSHIP is a complete and total way of life. It acknowledges our dependence on God for all we have and all we are. Stewardship of our time, talent and treasure lies at the heart of our Christian life. In short, it’s something we do; it’s the way we live. As Christian stewards, we receive God’s gifts gratefully, cultivate them responsibly, share them in loving justice with others, and return them with increase to the Lord.
See our STEWARDSHIP PRAYER.
Stewardship of TREASURE
Please consider the spiritual and practical benefits of a pre-authorized commitment to the Stewardship of Treasure. Your gifts toward weekly Sunday offerings, the Building Fund, Together in Action, and other Catholic charities can be handled by Direct Debit, MasterCard or Visa simply with your pre-authorization. Click here for the necessary forms. Fill out your preferred method of contribution; then drop your signed pre-authorization into the collection basket next time you're at Mass, or hand-deliver or Fax it to the Parish Office. NOTE: the signed form may be scanned and attached in an email to the Parish Secretary.
Stewardship of TIME and TALENT
One of the greatest gifts God gives us is our TIME. When we hand back a portion of each day to the One who made all our days without thinking about what we get in return, we are living the life of a steward. Please prayerfully ponder the descriptions of the various MINISTRIES that St. Mary's offers and begin your discernment.
Additionally, every one of us has something we can do to help others. The gift of our TALENTS invites us to recognize, cherish and share our God–given abilities. How can YOU enrich your parish’s faith family? See this BROCHURE about Catholic stewardship. Then print a VOLUNTEER/STEWARDSHIP FORM and sign up for the ministry(s) of your choice. Drop the completed form into the collection basket next time you're at Mass or mail it to us.
Parish Mission Statement
We are a community of faith trusting in God's love, open to the gifts of the Holy Spirit working within each member, attempting to model ourselves on Christ, and called to serve Him in others.