Always check our weekly Bulletin for the latest news in the parish. This page contains only some of the "highlights."
EXTRA! EXTRA! READ all about St. Mary's 100 years (1895-1995)
ST. MARY’S 125TH ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE has put the 100th Anniversary Book on the church’s website for all to enjoy. Also, there is more information about our past under the “About Us” section on our website, under “History” and “Church Construction” about long ago as well as about more recent times.
Thanks to the book author, Bev Pamenter, and the St. Mary's 125 Anniversary Committee for this digital publication.
Simply click "100 Years" tab at top of this page.
NEW MUSIC for ADVENT MASSES 2019:
We will be using the ICEL “Chant Mass” for the Masses in Advent this year. The music is found in the Missalettes pages 625-627, English words. If anyone would like to hear and practice for this at home, here is the LINK to the Audio for the ICEL Chant Mass: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=icel+chant+mass
When you go there, select the very top link, and follow these steps:
1) Click on “View Full Playlist”
2) Then scroll down the right side of the page.
3) We are using (numbers to the LEFT of the Audio clips):
#11 Sanctus (Holy Holy) in English
#13 Memorial Acclamation (We proclaim…)
#14 Doxology and Amen
#17 Agnus Dei (Lamb of God). (In English)
WHOOOOOO'S GOT THEIR GROCERY CARDS? Grocery Cards are available in the Gathering Area after each weekend Mass, or at the Parish Office. You can purchase yours with cash, cheque, Debit, Mastercard, or Visa.
- Co-op (6% profit),
- Nofrills/Superstore (5% profit),
- Safeway/Sobeys (5% profit), and
- Save On Foods (6% profit).
We purchase our grocery gift cards in bulk at a discounted price; you buy them from us for $100 and get to spend $100 - an excellent fundraiser, which is used to help make St. Mary’s Mortgage payments. Information, Helen Stock (403) 932-2782 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
- BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE will be in the Gathering Area, during the month of November. We invite you to add NAMES of your deceased loved ones. We will remember all during our weekend November Masses.
- RED WEDNESDAY, November 20th–all are asked to wear red that day to recognize persecuted Christians throughout the world. Special Mass at 9 am.
- 2019-2020 SUNDAY MISSALS and SUNDAY MISSALS FOR YOUNG CATHOLICS are available on tables in the Gathering Area for $5.00 each. Please pay for your Missal with cash in the basket on the table, or by credit or debit at the Grocery Card table. The First Sunday of Advent is December 1st.
- THE COMMISSIONING DATE for ALL volunteers, and for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, for all ministers (Saturday and Sunday and Weekday Mass ministers, teachers, and Pastoral Care Team) is during Mass, Saturday Nov 23rd and Sunday Nov 24th.
- SURVEY SAYS … All youth, Gr. 7 – 12, and their parents are invited to a Survey Night, to help dream and create a vision for Youth Ministry at St. Mary’s: Wednesday, Nov.13, 6 – 8 pm or Tuesday, Nov. 19, 5 – 6:45 pm . Stop in when you can over these 2 nights for this activity, which will take no longer than 30 minutes. We want to hear from you so we can launch Youth Ministry in January, 2020. Contact: Br. Michael - email: email@example.com
- COCHRANE ACTIVETTES SHARE YOUR CHRISTMAS: The collection of food and gifts will begin Nov. 23/24, and the donations will be picked up by the Activettes on Sun., Dec. 15. Boxes will be in the Gathering Area and by the West Doors
- 2020 CALENDARS: As a fundraiser, the Ladies of St. Mary’s will be selling 2020 Calendars after week-end masses beginning the weekend of October 19/20. The calendars are beautiful scenic photos of the Canadian Rockies. Wall calendars $5.00. Pocket calendars $1.00. Cash preferred.
- WE NEED YOUR HELP!! We are in dire need of volunteers for Sunday Circle for children aged 3-5. We are at risk of it not running anymore, unless we can get more help! Contact Robyn Toner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ALTAR SERVERS NEEDED! We’re in urgent need of additional Altar Servers, especially for Saturday Masses. If you are interested and can help out in this important ministry, please contact either Keith Schneberger, email@example.com or 403-510-1675, or Charlene at the Parish Office. Training is provided for boys & girls who have received their 1st Eucharist. Thanks for dedicating your time and talent to this important ministry!
- 2019 CFM WOMEN’S CONFERENCE: Women of Dignity, Nov.29-30, 2019 $50/woman; $35/student; $75/vendor Holy Trinity Parish, 200 Boundary Rd., Spruce Grove, AB. Info. & Registration: 780-961-3346 www.catholicfamilyministries.com
- NOT REGISTERED YET?? If you have not yet registered with the Parish, please take a moment to fill out a New Parishioner Registration form, which is available near the coffee station in the Gathering Area OR you can fill out a form online—see the "FORMS" tab at the top of this page. Registration will ensure you're included in Parish communications.
- ANNUAL K. OF C. SPECIALTY MEATS SALE – The Knights will be offering specialty meats and other foods for sale from November 9th through December 1st. As in previous years, the vendor will give us 20% of gross sales. The Knights will donate 100% of these monies to the Parish Building-Mortgage Fund. Foods will be available for pick up in mid December. The Knights will be taking orders at the kiosk in the Gathering Area.
- SEEKING CHRIST?
- ADULTS —Do you know someone who is not baptized, or baptized in another denomination who has expressed a desire to learn about the Catholic faith? Do you know someone who is a baptized Catholic but never confirmed or received First Eucharist? The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is meant for them. For more info., contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- AND for CHILDREN —Do you wish to help lead your child into a relationship with Jesus Christ? "JESUS SAID, LET THE LITTLE CHILDREN COME TO ME, AND DO NOT STOP THEM." (Matthew 19: 14). The Rite of Christian Initiation of Children meets on Sunday mornings, focuses on the teachings of Jesus, and how to live as His disciple. RCIC leads to the reception of the sacraments of baptism, confirmation and first eucharist at an Easter vigil. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- HOLY SPIRIT SCHOOL’S “THE TWELVE WEEKS OF CHRISTMAS” - a collection for Avenue 15 (Boys’ & Girls’ Clubs of Calgary Shelter Services), which provides youth experiencing homelessness with temporary shelter and basic needs, as well as a comprehensive support system to assist them in reuniting with their families or finding alternative living arrangements. Donated items may be dropped off in the donation bins in the Gathering Area.
- 6th week of Christmas …Nov. 11-17: collecting individual transit passes for Calgary bus or LRT (or $2 and they will be purchased on behalf of the school).
- 5th week of Christmas …Nov.18-24: collecting new boxers (for boys) or underwear (for girls) sizes to fit ages 12-17.
- 4th week of Christmas …Nov.25-Dec.1: collecting Gift Certificates to Tim Hortons, A&W, Dairy Queen, or MacDonald’s (kids at the shelter are awarded points, and can turn in their points for gift cards.
- CALLING ALL BAKERS!! LADIES OF ST. MARY’S ANNUAL COOKIE WALK: Saturday, November 30, 12:00 noon – 2:00 pm. Your contribution of freshly baked items would be greatly appreciated to make the event a big success. All proceeds from this sale go to benefit Parish charities. Please drop off all baking at the church main entrance on Friday, Nov. 29 from 3 - 8 pm or Saturday, Nov. 30 from 9:30 – 10:30 am Thank you in advance for your great generosity! Info.: Lorraine L. 403-851-4052.
- NAVIGATING GRIEF AND LOSS IN THE HERE AND NOW: November 15-17, at FCJ Retreat & Conference Ctr., 219 - 19th Avenue SW, Calgary, Time: Starting Friday at 5:30pm with supper, and ending noon lunch on Sunday. Live-In: $285.00 Commuter: $185.00. Facilitator(s): Suzanne Clease and Sr. Ger Curran, fcJ - for anyone who is experiencing a significant transition or loss: relationship, employment, dreams or aspirations. The spirit of the retreat is making space for God through art, nature, meditation, and journaling. Please note, this is not suitable for anyone bereaved in the last 6 months.
• Feel a sense of safety and freedom to explore new ways of seeing life following loss.
• Find new ways to retrieve your life energy that allows you to navigate situations with a sense of peace.
• Take away a greater sense of self-awareness.
• Experience your own calm center with the introduction of healing practices. Pre-registration required. Call (403) 228-4215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEWS ALERT ON USE OF CREDIT CARDS: Did you know that St. Mary's Parish pays a little more than $10,000.00 each year for credit card fees? Therefore, and if possible, please consider using cash, debit card, or a cheque when paying for grocery cards, sacramental preparation materials, etc. Thank you!
- LIBRARY: - near the Lost and Found, by Connections. Nice selection of books available to our parishioners. Have a look!